Stephen Smith (France) Ltd Forum Index Stephen Smith (France) Ltd

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

French or English credit cards?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stephen Smith (France) Ltd Forum Index -> Legal Q and A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unknown

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: French or English credit cards? Reply with quote

I visit France regularly and use my credit card there all the time.
Would it be better for me to have a French card?
unknown

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plus side of using your UK credit card is that all spending appears on your regular statement and you can choose how much to repay. However, a currency commission charge would have been made by the card issuer on all non-sterling transactions and if you have used your card to obtain euros at a cash machine in France, charges will also apply.

If you already have a euro bank account in France or are thinking of opening one, you are likely to have, or be offered, a debit card link to the Visa or Master Card networks. For purchases, you can choose between immediate and month-end debit. Cash withdrawals in France are debited to your account when you make them. All debits will be in euros to a euro account. Check with the bank if cash withdrawals attract a charge.

Plainly, you should ensure that there are sufficient funds in your French account when using the credit card. Also, be aware that the bank will charge an annual fee for this service.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stephen Smith (France) Ltd Forum Index -> Legal Q and A All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: