Stephen Smith (France) Ltd Forum Index Stephen Smith (France) Ltd

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pilgrims

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stephen Smith (France) Ltd Forum Index -> Anything Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lesley
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject: Pilgrims Reply with quote

Thought they'd gone out with the Ark?

I had almost forgotten about this episode, but out on a walk today, near the GR13, I was reminded. This seems an appropriate place for this note, but I cannot guarantee to have you rolling about the aisles.

Late in July last year there came a knock at my front door. Through the spy hole, I saw an odd looking cove in floppy hat. I launched my frightening-looking but secretly wimpish German Shepherd at him and yet he remained strangely unperturbed.

“I am a pilgrim,” said he.
“Yeah, right,” said I.

It came to pass that, upon retirement, he and his wife had decided to walk from Belgium to Santiago del Compostela as a celebration. They had set off in March and expected to get to Spain in October. They were half way and off the beaten track because they needed to find a cobbler to mend wife’s shoe. Not surprising really, walking all that way.

Still suspicious was I, so, no, they could not camp in the field. Too dangerous. Horses, muck-heap, snakes. But – bright idea – they could bed down in the tack-room adjoining the stables and use the house loo.

They invited me to tea and told me all about the people praying out loud at Vézelay and how a woman in a baker’s asked them to pray for her. They said they were just ordinary people celebrating their retirement. The next day, early, they went on their way.

When it got to October I found myself thinking about them and hoping they got there. Later on in the year, I thought I had better check out the availability of oxen, asses, midwives, shepherds and kings over the Christmas period in case any more Pilgrims should turn up.

After that, I thought nothing of it, but there is a corollary to this tale. One Saturday, I received a post card from Santiago de Compostella. My pilgrims arrived on the 13th of the month and they treated themselves to a flight back home. Very kindly they wrote their address on the card so we can keep in touch. They are from a district called Betlehem near Menen. I sent them a New year card.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stephen Smith (France) Ltd Forum Index -> Anything Else All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: