Stephen Smith (France) Ltd Forum Index Stephen Smith (France) Ltd

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alexandre le Grand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stephen Smith (France) Ltd Forum Index -> Anything Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lesley
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Alexandre le Grand Reply with quote

Well, folks, went to see Alexandre le Grand at Luzy and can't decide how I felt about it. Maybe it being in a foreign language took some of the gloss off it. They kept striding about shouting "Par Zeus" and I have no idea what the American for that would be. There was far too much belly dancing and the political intrigue lacked a certain je ne sais quoi - no quiet plotting behind closed doors, but a lot of "You are a drunk and a despot and we want to go home" upon which swords were outed. Make-up department very good at scars and missing eyes. Poor delicate love affair not properly explored and a bit too much rape and orgy when there was no belly dancing taking place. Things livened up when the elephants came on, but things took a nose-dive when poor old Bucephalus got it in the neck.Quite literally. One or two fine sentimental moments(dying horse raises head and snickers at gravely wounded master). 10+ for blood and gore. Ace battle with the Persians. Format a bit tired - old historian telling tale in flashback and a poisonous manipulatrix of a mother so 6/10 all round. Mr Stone should have seen "I, Claudius" (brill orgies and plotting) or "Gladiator"(generally good without too much exotic dancing). Instead, I fear, Mr Stone has taken for his mentor Cecil B De Mille. I did expect to see golden calves and tablets of stone at one point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Stephen Smith (France) Ltd Forum Index -> Anything Else All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: